Devices to become available at no charge through the National Diabetes Services Scheme.
Health Minister Greg Hunt has confirmed the availability, effective immediately, of funding for continuous glucose monitoring technology, which will be provided at no charge to eligible children and people aged under 21 with type 1 diabetes.
Hunt said eligible young Australians will be able to access the devices for free via the National Diabetes Services Scheme, saving around $4,000 annually. “This will be life-changing for children, young people and their families,” he said.
The $54 million initiative was promised during last year’s election campaign, and since then the government has worked with expert endorinologists, paediatricians and diabetes educators as well as Diabetes Australia, the DANII Foundation, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the Pharmacy Guild of Australia to develop the program.
To access continuous glucose monitors patients will need to consult with an authorised health professional who will assess their suitability under specific eligibility criteria as part of an overall management plan for diabetes, with assessment forms available to download at www.ndss.com.au.
The DANII Foundation hailed the move, with founders Donna and Brian Meads-Barlow leaading a national education and awareness roadshow to 17 locations across the country in the coming weeks to ensure as many type 1 diabetics as possible understand what the technology can offer.
More details in Monday’s issue of Pharmacy Daily.